Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pine Bedroom Built-in - Part III

I'm struggling a bit tonight with the design of the dresser cabinet - primarily with how to handle seasonal wood movements. The cabinet is about 22" deep with the top and 4 sides and 2 small shelves made from solid southern yellow pine. I don't know the exact seasonal movement amount for southern yellow pine - according to one site (http://woodgears.ca/wood_grain/shrinkage.html) the tangential movement is about 0.84% for pine. This would would equate to about 0.1848" on 22" width or ~3/16". Assuming the sides and shelves expand at the same rate or approximately thereof, the issue that concerns me most is the framing that I need to support the drawers. The plan currently is not to buy drawer slides but rather just make runners and kickers to allow the drawers to run in. The issue comes in that the kickers and runners will have the grain orientated 90 degrees to the sides and wood doesn't expand very much longitudinally, but rather in its width. The top of the dresser will be free floating - held in place with screws. Framing across the width of the unit shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating it, but I hate to see it self destruct. I'm thinking that the smartest route here may be to create a system where I glue and screw the kicker/runner set to the front of the cabinet say first 3 inches, then place a screw at the back with a elongated hole?? Then the sides can expand and contract and the kicker/runner will stay tight at the front but as the sides expand it will move forward and back along the elongated screw hole at the back. Anyone have any thoughts?

On another note I modified the upper shelving unit just a bit tonight moving the bottom 3 shelves closer together to 11" vertical spacing from 12" vertical spacing and then instead of a constant 8" for the final 2 I sort of split the difference a bit and stepped down to 10" and then 7-1/2" (viewed under the face frame - 8 -1/4" if you remove the face frame). I may need to bring that top shelf down just a tad more but it looks more pleasing to the eye now.

No comments:

Post a Comment