Monday, July 11, 2011

Pine Bedroom Built-in - Part II

I've sketched up the remaining parts of this project in 3D to get a visual of how it will look. The doors and drawers are inset 3/8" and overlap on the face frame 3/8". Where possible, the face frame is 1-1/2" in width. The box in front of the window seat is the baseboard heater and must be in that location. The rectangular box in the middle of the dresser section represents the 2 outlets that we needed to work around in the design.

I'm at a loss as what to do with the face frame on the shelves above the dresser. Specifically the left one, it needs an extra half inch for wall factor. The face frame below it on the dresser must be extra wide to accomodate a window sill sticking into the room from the left edge by 2-5/8".





Having talked with my friend and reviewed the images on the blog, I'm going to attempt to rearrange the spacing on the shelves on the upper left - hopefully giving it a better transition from wide spacing to narrow. The abrupt spacing change that currently exists really detracts from the piece (in my opinion).

I also need to add two vertical dividers in the window bench seat. Basically going with a 2 - 1 - 2 so the dividers will be to the left and right of the center door. Then I need to work out the framing for the dresser. I held off framing it properly in the 3D rendering until I could present it and get feedback on whether the 2 shelves in the middle of the dresser were going to stay - since the shelves dicate needing solid dividers as well.

I'm starting to get much more comfortable with Google Sketch-Up. The last time around the bulk of the time was figuring out how to use the program - living room units, this time the bulk of the time spent is in figuring out the framing and how the parts will go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment