Friday, September 24, 2010

Built In Wall Unit - Part II

Tonight was back out to the garage and planing more of the rough pine lumber. Because I need the garage door open while doing it I have to quit around 9pm. When I can't work on the physical aspects of the project I've been working on the virtual aspects of the project - attempting to draw it in 3D using the free Google SketchUp. While I'm a long long ways from being any sort of expert with Google SketchUp - it takes me forever to do the simplest tasks.

Here are some of the exported images of what I'm building. There is still a long way to go and a lot of things to figure out. The entire project needs to have a face frame added to it. These would cover the joints where the units meet. Doors need to be added to the lower cabinet after the face frame is added and in the lower right case, there will be a grid of small drawers 3 columns x 4 rows.

By taking time and drawing it in 3D I'm hoping it will give me a chance to experiment with some of the joinery and design aspects before I start cutting things up.






From the design you can see that its divided into 5 cases:

Bottom Case - 5 doors with moveable shelves behind them
Right case that is about 9.5" deep with fixed shelves on 10" centers and a lower 3x4 grid of drawers.
Middle right case, one fixed shelf (2nd shelf from bottom) and 3 moveable shelves.
Middle left case, while currently its drawn as a single fixed shelf, this case will have 2 fixed shelves with a a pair of doors with stain glass in them in front of the shelves
Far left case with a few moveable shelves. The case is attached only on the right side and to the wall behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment