Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pine Bedroom Built-in - Part V

I finally finished up the bedroom built-in about a month ago. I've been slack in posting as I've been extremely busy with new projects. I have yet to go and install the bedroom unit, though we fitted the dresser unit a while ago. The client I made it for is finishing the units herself and when she is done then I will go back and install them. I didn't take a lot of pictures of it while I was building it. Here are a couple of the pictures that I do have. The first is of the dresser unit showing the carcass construction. The heavy face frame on the far right is because the drawers had to be moved over enough to allow them to get by a window frame that stuck out.



Here is the bookcase - just held together with clamps in a dry fitting sitting on top of the completed dresser. One piece of wood was used for all the drawer fronts so in essence you see a continous sections of the board starting in the top left and finishing in the lower right. Really liked the way the bottom row turned out. The two empty holes are by design as there is an electrical outlet on the wall so they wanted direct access. Guess they'll put some alarm clocks or the like on them.


Here is the bench seat as I was gluing it up. The entire thing went together as a single glue up. The face frame is tongue and grooved using the Sommerfeld system. The bench top is dadoed into the end boards as is the bottom shelf. The dividers are also dadoed into the bottom of the bench top and the top of the bottom shelf. The face frame and sides extend a 1/2" above the bench top to allow it to hold on whatever pad the client makes to sit on top. The face frame was the only part glued up separately. The tall lower board on the face frame was done like that in order to accomodate a base board heater sitting in front.


No comments:

Post a Comment